Your Wardrobe Unlock'd: the costume maker's companion

Friday, October 8, 2010

Historical Costume Festival - "Wives & Daughters" costume

For my second entry to Atlanta's Historical Costume Festival I will share my Cynthia inspired dress from the movie Wives & Daughters (1999). 

::Inspiration::




::My Version::




::What I did::

I used Mrs. Chancey's Romantic era dress pattern for my dress. The fabric is quilters cotton from Joann's. I also made my own fabric covered buttons for the back.

~Ashley

6 comments:

Elinor Dashwood/Melanie said...

It's lovely!
Can I link to this from my Wives and Daughters Costume Study page?

Bramblewood Fashion said...

Sure, go right ahead. =)

Atlanta said...

Beautiful! I love that pink dress of Cynthias! Great reproduction!

The Dreamstress said...

I really, really must see that movie! The costumes look so amazing!

I love that your replica is so close, but could be worn as a modern dress too without being too outlandish. Great job!

Unknown said...

Hello!!!
I love the Jane Austen Movies and Wives and Daughters!!!
I'm 11 did I say I love Jane Austen!!!!

~Shelby L. Rogers

Stinevincent said...

You've definitely got some sewing chops, and I congratulate your industry and work ethic. But all of the costumes you're recreating hinge upon fit! and you're not fitting the final product to your body! I'm sure you have plenty of learning ahead of you, but maybe try making a dress for someone else, so you can really see and adjust for fit. It makes a HUGE difference to the final silhouette and impression of any garment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails